Wednesday, 4 September 2013

University

Today marks as my first official day of University.
I started off the day with my first class, Econ 101 and I start off my mornings now with 300 other kids in a lecture hall. You realize that this is for real, that there's no screwing around and that the professor doesn't hold your hand. This is the real world. And it's only 9:00 AM.
Currently I am studying BA in Drama taking my prerequisites for business (you can't go directly into business in your first year) and I feel like I am floating around. Near the end of high school I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Which I know is a common theme, but I actually have no clue- not even an idea. And it scares the holy shit out of me. After high school my ideal plan was to take a year off, take time to work and actually figure out what to do. But my parents disagreed, said that they wouldn't want to talk to someone who was lazy. Through my eyes taking a year off is me trying to not be bankrupt and not spend a year not spending $7000 floating around. But here I am in university. Have you ever felt like whatever you do, you can be replaced? Like you'll forever be a brick in a wall? That's me right now, stuck. If I left tomorrow off the face of the earth, I can easily be replaced. You wonder how much input you have in the world.

What is the point of university? I'm not being bitter, but what is it? Being in a routine, paving the way to a fulltime job with included health care, get married, have children, and then what? Here we are with programs being cut, the prices are higher then ever. If you wanted to promote university, why not have at a point where everybody is able to afford it and have equal opportunities. We are going to change the world with the stories we tell, weather in a positive or negative light- that's negotiable. Albert Einstein, Mark Zuckerburg, Steve Jobs didn't complete university but they managed to make their mark, but on the other hand they were geniuses that managed to make their mark.

These are my thoughts through video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ZmM7zPLyI

What are your thoughts of university?


+

No comments:

Post a Comment